Tuesday, August 19, 2003

An interesting conversation today...

As those of you who are regulars to this blog might know, I had a rather large painting (8ft x 4.5ft) that was in a show at the University that I teach at...well...the painting was sold, but for certain reasons, the buyer had to back out! Total bummer! However, the painting is still there for another week and a half...one of my friends (who has been gone for some time) just saw it and asked a series of interesting questions...

Friend: Does the cross have a definite Christian meaning to it?

ME: Yes...it has to do with the main character's (Michael's) belief and Silla's doubts as to whether she has a soul...

Friend: But a cross has such a strong symbolic tie to it.

ME: It was originally a stronger element in the painting, but it wasn't to be the focal point...Silla's questioning gaze was the focal point, the cross was the answer.

Friend: But why have it as the answer?

ME: Uh...

Friend: Why is it that you are so sure of Christianity and you ask so many questions of other areas of your life?

ME: Because I spent so much of my college years searching for the truth and I've found it in Christianity. (I actually explained it a little better than that...but that's the basic jist of it) Now that I am comfortable with my religious beliefs, I find that I am questioning other things in life...

Friend: We need to continue this when we have more time...

If you wish to see the painting in question, email me and I'll send a copy to you...I'm not ready to post it on my site...

No comments: